Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Blamelessly Walking

Gen. 17:1-3
When Abram was ninety-nine years old the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless, that I may make my covenant between me and you, and may multiply you greatly." Then Abram fell on his face.


God desired Abraham to walk before Him continually and blamelessly. Since 'blameless' is the term used for a sacrificial animal, he would be a person without blemish. How was this possible for Abraham? The answer was faith! Abraham walked by faith and believed what God said to him. In faith, he believed that God could make him righteous and blameless just as he believed that God could give him a son and make him the father of many nations. Even though Abraham was highly favored by God, he did not respond in pride; instead he fell on his face before God. His response was one of humility and awe. 

God has made a similar covenant with me, one that is based on faith and faith alone.  I too am to walk blameless, yet this walk is not my effort but is of the Spirit and through the grace of God. The result of this walk is blessings multiplied. In Abram's situation it was a child, a child that drew him closer to God. At one point God asked for this child as an offering. Abraham did not waver, but knew that if God took the life of his son, He would provide a way to bring him back to life. Abraham did not doubt the power of his God in any circumstance of his life. For me, I must trust in a similar way. I must believe in the sovereign power of God in every detail of my life. All my circumstances are to draw me closer to Him; whether positive or negative. As I see God work in my life, am I falling on my face in humility? Do I value and even comprehend His great power to save and sanctify?

Father,
Keep my faith strong as I walk with You. Help me see You in every detail of my life and humbly receive all circumstances as blessings from Your hand.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment