Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Rock and Fortress

Ps. 31:3
For You are my rock and my fortress; and for Your name's sake You lead and guide me;

The Lord is my rock! What are the uses of rock? Initially, I think of foundations for buildings or for roads because it is a substance that is unmovable. Jesus is the foundation of my soul and my life. Not only that but because He is my foundation, my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. He is also the basis of the roads in my life because He is the underlay of everywhere that I travel. I think of the wise man and the foolish man who each built a house, one on rock and the other on sand. When the storms of life came, the foundation built on the rock stood unwavering, but the foundation built on the sand washed away. Jesus is the foundation that never washes away. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever! He is my rock! I praise Him for being the rock of my salvation!

Sometimes rocks are large obstructions in areas to prevent what man would like to do, his fleshly desires for progress or for wealth. As I think of this I know that Jesus is definitely the obstruction that keeps me from following the path of the world. He stands solidly and resolutely in the way of my grasp of what the world desires. He blocks my desires for the things of the world.

Rocks can also be used defensively. I think of David using 5 smooth stones to take out the giant, Goliath. Jesus is definitely the rock that I use for defense against the giants that Satan sends my way. Not only is my defensive protection but He is my offensive protection. He is my fortress where I can run and hide. I can find safety in the cleft of the rock (Ex. 33:22).

He is the Rock for His own name's sake. It has nothing to do with me, my availability or my desirability. It has to do with His grace. Because it brings glory to the Father, He is my rock. My response must be one of praise: Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! How glorious to possess personally the Rock that saves, sanctifies, protects, and preserves all for God's glory!

Father,
Thank You for the rock of my salvation, for giving me new life founded on Jesus, my immovable foundation.
In the name of my Rock,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment