Monday, January 2, 2012

Reversals

Lk. 6:20-22
Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh. Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

The life of a believer counters all that the world feels is desirable. Instead of riches, the believer is blessed for his poverty. Instead of fullness, the believer is blessed for his hunger. Instead of laughter, the believer is blessed for his weeping. Instead of having the favor of others, the believer is blessed for being hated and reviled. In fact, not only is the world's system and values to be rejected, but it brings with it a woe, a much stronger label and one that brings judgment. What is the reason for this reversal? It seems to me that if I am rich, full, laughing, and enjoying favor, I am not needy in the least. My life would seemingly have all that I would need. But the believer has discovered a deep need in his heart, one that can only be met by Jesus. So the world's riches mean nothing to me in fact, they clutter my heart and obscure my vision of Jesus. Instead, I realize my poverty of soul and my deep inability to satisfy and save myself. By the same token if I am full, I am completely self-satisfied and not hungering and thirsting for righteousness, for Jesus Himself. I have allowed things to try and satisfy my longings instead of the person of Jesus. If I am laughing, my vision has clouded the true state of my soul. I am not seeing myself as God's sees me, or else I would be weeping over my sin and mourning my state apart from the grace of God. For the unbeliever, the favor of others is the only favor he can possess, but this favor is capricious and short-lived, but if I have the favor of Jesus above anything else, then being hated or reviled means nothing. Actually, being hated and reviled is the  normal course of events for someone who truly loves Jesus because the believer's life is showing the world the emptiness of their lives. Yes, living as a believer is a complete reversal of what the world thinks. So Jesus' final words to me are to love my enemies because there will be many of them. By loving them and living in a way that reverses the world's values, I bring glory to God and reflect the One who saved me.

Father,
Take the taste for what the world offers completely out of mouth. Teach me to love Your way and Your will. Help me to show the world a reflection of Your Son.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment