Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Lord Will Provide

Gen. 22:12-13
 He said, "Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me." And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son.

When I read the account of Abraham on his way to offer Isaac on the altar, it makes me think of Mt. 10:37. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Abraham's heart was clearly for God. If his choice was between God or child, he would choose God. How unbelievably difficult! It makes me wonder what my response would be in a similar situation. Would I obey unreservedly and without question? I think that Abraham's obedient action was based in his deep and abiding relationship with God. His trust in God was greater than any human fear or doubt. He knew God! God has given me that same opportunity to know Him through prayer. Perhaps the reason that I have reservations is related to my time in prayer and in the Word. Am I spending enough time with God to grow my trust and faith? Am I taking time to really know Him?

Father,
Open my heart to You so that my faith and trust will be united to Yours. Help to me to be thoroughly obedient to all that You command and ask.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment