Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Trust

Ps. 25:1-2
To You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, in You I trust; let me not be put to shame, let not my enemies exult over me.

David had a heart of trust because of his personal relationship with his God. He began the Psalm with the simple words,  To You-- How intimate! In this moment of private worship, he lifted up his soul. He offered it in trust, obedience, and humility asking that God would keep him safe from his enemies, that he would not be put to shame. He reinforced his request with what he knew to be true about God, that none who wait for God will ever be put to shame! Perhaps, he was encouraging his own heart and quelling the fear that was encroaching on his heart. Obviously, he was in imminent danger. He continued by asking God to show him His paths and His ways. He wanted to be led in God's truth because he knew that God is the God of salvation. After he unloaded his heart, he willingly waited all day for God to answer.  There is the hard thing--the waiting. Yet as David waited, he continued to talk with God rehearsing what he knew to be true about God. He is good and upright instructing sinners in the way. He leads the humble and teaches them His way. All His paths are steadfast love and faithfulness for those to keep His commandments. It seems as if all of these statements supported his waiting and reassured him that God would answer.  In humility, he asked for his guilt to be pardoned. In heaviness of spirit he explored the matter of fearing the Lord almost as if he is struggling with the concept, but then he remembered that The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear Him and He makes known to them His covenant. David knew he was the friend of God and knew that he feared God. Once more he cried out to God asking Him to turn and be gracious for he was lonely and afflicted. The troubles of his heart were overwhelmingly large. While he waited, he asked for God to consider his plight and to deliver him from those who hate him. He put himself in the refuge of his God while he waited.

What a beautiful Psalm that teaches me how to pray and how to give God an upsetting situation.
  •  Establish intimate communication with God.
  • Present my request or problem.
  • Ask for His help.
  • Be ready to wait.
  • Rehearse what is true about God repeatedly.
  • Express my emotions and weakness.
  • Confess sin.
  • Be persistent in asking.
  • Take refuge in God.
  • Wait, wait, wait!
Father,
Thank You for the Psalms that show me the hearts of these men who loved You and yet had problems in their lives. Help me to be like David in that I come to You for resolution. Teach me to be willing to wait as I continue to worship You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment