Friday, January 13, 2012

Outside and Inside

Lk. 11:39-41
 And the Lord said to him, "Now you Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You fools! Did not he who made the outside make the inside also? But give as alms those things that are within, and behold, everything is clean for you.

What a great temptation this still is! Certainly it is so easy to appear one way and to be another way on the inside because man is naturally duplicitous. Our pride is so great that we will unintentionally offend God to preserve our image with other people. Jesus is exposing this sin in self-righteous people, people whose lives are wrapped up in the outer appearance. But sadly, even with people who want to please God and want to live holy lives, Satan tempts in this same way. How many times do I have unholy thoughts that I share with no one? It makes me see how very strong my pride is, my desire to appear one way and hide those parts of me that are secretly sinful. No wonder James says, Confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. I think it is in this confessing to others that I am exposing those sins that I normally keep hidden. Even though God should be the person I am most concerned with, confessing to Him seems to be less painful than confessing to others. Why??? Could it be because my relationship with God is not as important to me as my relationships with others? Or is it because I am assured of God's love and not so much of other's love? Or is it just sin, plain and simple?
 
Father,
Help me to be inwardly and outwardly the same. I so love You and desire to obey You. Give me Your grace and strength to do this. Convict me when I am letting sins slide or when I am not even aware of them.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment