Friday, January 27, 2012

One Thing

Ps. 27:4
One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.

David began Ps. 27 with the poetic and powerful words, The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? Such confidence in God! He rejoiced in his God to the degree that he had no fear of any earthly power or situation. For many people, they could express these sentiments easily because they really do not have any enemies, but in David's case, his enemies were many. So for him to say that he feared no one was monumental! This statement attested to the closeness of his relationship with God and was related to the desire of his heart, a desire that he expressed in v. 4 of this Psalm. What one thing did David ask? Was it for peace, protection, wisdom, resources, power, money? No, even though such things would have been useful to him; instead he asked to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of his life. How simple is this? He wanted to abide with God, to be in His constant presence. Why? He wanted to gaze upon His beauty and to inquire in His temple. God was beautiful to Him! He was a presence that was the object of his heart's desire, a presence that he knew was glorious beyond belief. Perhaps this intimate longing was the reason that David could rest completely in God and have no fear. He knew God and knew that God would hide him in His shelter, concealing him in His tent, even to the point of lifting his head high above his enemies. He believed unfailingly in the goodness of the Lord. All he had to do was wait for the Lord, be strong, and take courage in this deep and abiding relationship that he had with God. He could wait because he had the presence of God to sustain him. He could meditate on past conversations and on the unending beauty of the Lord. Simply put, he had a heart for God that altered all of his thinking and his other relationships. Where is my heart? What is my longing?

Father,
Give me a desire that must be fulfilled in knowing You. Give me a relationship with You that alters everything else in my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment