Thursday, January 19, 2012

A True Disciple

Lk. 14:33
So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be My disciple.

Great crowds were listening and following Jesus, but what was in their hearts? Were they wanting to be a true disciple or a disciple that was seeking the blessings of bread and healing? What did these people think when He talked about what it meant to be His disciple? I know that as I read this passage, I have to look deep into my heart. A disciple must...
  • Love family (father, mother, wife, children, siblings) less than Jesus. How hard is this?
  • Love his own life (pride, ambition, rights) less than Jesus. Self is the biggest idol in anyone's life. Jesus is asking us to renounce our number one idol in favor of Him.
  • Count the cost like a builder who needs to make sure he can finish the tower, or a war-going king making sure of his troops.
  • Renounce all--only Jesus!
Jesus has spoken strong words here, but maybe they only seem strong to the one who is truly a disciple. Perhaps those with ears not completely in sync would hear those words in a different way. Whatever, but I think that the truth of this discipleship comes in the Spirit's empowering. Without Him, the disciple would be operating in his own flesh and would more than likely fail. So my response to this passage would have to be to pray and ask the Spirit to deepen my love for Jesus to the degree that nothing else would matter. As I grow in my love for Him, I see that He alters all the values in my life. He gives meaning for triviality, commitment for wavering, and fervor for complacency. He is my all!

Father,
Give me Your grace and strength to make Jesus my all. Help me to crucify my flesh and pick up my cross daily and follow Jesus.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment