Saturday, January 14, 2012

On Guard

Lk. 12:13-15
 Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me." But he said to him, "Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?" And he said to them, "Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

The man made what sounded like a reasonable request of Jesus. However, the request had nothing to do with Jesus' ministry or His mission which his initial response revealed, but His second reply was what Jesus was all about, revealing the true heart condition. From a human standpoint, the man was desiring his fair share, yet Jesus saw a heart full of covetousness. His words to the man were to be on guard. Watch out because covetousness is sly. It can overwhelm a person in an instant in something as simple as comparing ourselves to another person, a family member, a friend, or even an enemy. It is in the seemingly accepted patterns of life, that our guard is relaxed. When the guard is relaxed, covetousness creeps in. The principle that Jesus is teaching is that life is not in possessions even though the world says it is. It is easy to separate ourselves from the world and those who have many possessions, but when a family member or a fellow Christian has an abundance of possessions, it gets hard. Perhaps it's hard because I try and overcome in the flesh, in my own strength instead of going to Jesus for the grace that I need. Perhaps it is hard because my spiritual life is lacking so my eye wanders to other areas. For whatever reason, the remedy is the same: Be on Guard. Live a life based in spiritual truths and rewards not fleshly possessions.
 
Father,
Take my eyes off what the world has and keep them focused on You. Make me strong in a life that values You above all else.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment