Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tragic

Lk. 13: 26-27

Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.'  But He will say, 'I tell you, I do not know where you come from. Depart from me, all you workers of evil!'

What a pointed question! Will those that are saved be few? Jesus answered by speaking of a narrow door, a door so narrow that even though many try to enter only a few will be allowed. The Master Himself shuts this door, and once He has, no one else will enter. Many people will stand outside knocking, crying out for the door to be opened offering as their entry pass the fact that they ate and drank in His presence and even taught in the streets. Even though these people were religious doing many of the same things that those who entered did, the Master says, Depart from me, all you workers of evil! Instead of entry they will be sent to hell. So harsh! I think the point of the story is not where you go (church), or the company you keep (other church people), or what you do (teach and serve in the church), but what your heart condition is. Has there been repentance? Has the decision resulted in a different and radically changed life style? I think that warning passages are scary to read. They make me wonder if what is in my heart and life is real? Am I radically changed? I don't want to be shocked and surprised like these people were. But, at the same time I know the witness of the Spirit. I have experienced His closeness in prayer. I believe that my life is radically changed although the change has such a distance yet to go. Perhaps God is telling me to examine my life, to be sure of what is happening, and to look closely at my heart.

Father,
Teach me to be radical for You. Give me Your grace and strength to grow as You want me to.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment