Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Good Portion

Lk. 10:38-41
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

How many times have I chosen the good portion? How many times am I so caught up in the menial tasks of this life that I have squeezed out the most important thing? Why do I do this? It is not because I don't know what the good portion is or that it is the best thing to chose. Could it be because sitting at the feet of Jesus is a relationship not just an action, and relationships take time and wholehearted involvement. They can not be accomplished with a list, a meal plan, or a detailed schedule. Sitting at His feet is being so in love with Jesus that I give up my schedule and all the things that I want to accomplish. Perhaps that is the secret, the I. The struggle is always between my I and Jesus. Martha let her I get so out of control that she became troubled and anxious. It was even too much for her to handle. All the while Mary was sitting peacefully and adoringly at the feet of Jesus. All Martha's concerns were not eternal and eventually would be of no consequence, but what Mary had was eternal. She had invested in the Jesus not Martha Stewart. How this speaks to my heart! What am I investing in? Why do I sacrifice the the meaningful for the menial?
 
Father,
Teach me to invest in You and not be consumed with this world. Refine my desires and tune them to You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment