Saturday, July 31, 2010

Purified Conscience

Heb. 9:14

"How much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God."

When I think of a purified conscience, I think of God's great grace. For without grace, my conscience is severely limited. Sometimes it might warn me of impending failure, that is if I listen to it, but most often it produces guilt, frustration, and failure. Hebrews tells me that Christ has done a more excellent thing through the sacrificing of His blood. Not only has He purified my conscience from death to life, but He has released it from sin's dominion and rule. As if that were not enough, He has replaced it with a heart written on by God Himself. "I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their heart, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people." New life for me means a super-charged conscience, one autographed by God and controlled by His Spirit.

Is the overriding purpose of this new conscience to flood me with guilt over my many failings and flaws? Thankfully, no, but it is to make me aware of the gift of grace that fills my entire being. It is through His grace that I am able to serve Him, to cease from dead works, and to wait for Him eagerly. Thankfully, His grace is perfected in my weakness, the weakness of my conscience, my flesh, and my self-striving. He has changed me from the inside out giving me all that I need to obey His Word.
Father,
Even though my conscience is purified by the blood of Jesus, it seems as if I still struggle with serving You through grace. Teach me the 'how-to' of my new spirit-enabled conscience. Make my service only through Your grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment