Sunday, September 5, 2010

Actions of Ps. 34

What a beautiful psalm! It speaks of so many things that I should do, that would be the will of God for my life.
  • I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall be continually in my mouth. Do I do this? What is in my mouth continually? Is it praise of my God? Why wouldn't I have praise in my mouth? Could it be preoccupation with this world?
  • My soul boasts in the Lord. If I were truly boasting in the Lord, then I would be depending on Him. I wouldn't be plodding along in my own self-sufficiency.
  • Magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together! Magnification speaks of enlarging. Am I enlarging Christ in my life and in the lives of those around me? Am I exalting Him in such a way that others would want to do this too?
  • I sought the Lord, and He answered me and delivered me from all my fears. This implies time spent in prayer. To get an answer, I must make a request, not just a request for material things but requests for spiritual things.
  • Those who look to Him are radiant and their faces will not be ashamed. Keeping my eyes on Jesus will change my countenance. It will make me radiant and unashamed. The joy of the Lord will be filling all of me and shining out through my face.
  • O taste and see that the Lord is good! God is so good, but I must taste. I must eat, even feast on the riches of His grace. When His Word is my nourishment, then I will experience the goodness of the Lord.
  • Oh fear the Lord, for those who fear Him have no lack! My heart and soul need to be fearing God. My attitude needs to be reverent and in awe of a God who loved me and saved me.
  • But those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. I need to be seeking the Lord. As a result nothing good will be lacking in my life because my sufficiency will be in Him. How do I seek Him? How do I make Him the entire object of my life and not be side tracked with what I have to do on this earth? Were is the balance?
  • Keep my tongue from evil and my lips from speaking deceit. My tongue is so powerful and can utter hurtful things in a flash. As James said, it is a world of iniquity. With my tongue, I need all the grace that God has to offer.
  • Turn away from evil and do good. I can't be doing good if I am focused on evil. I must not only turn away, but turn to good. How do I find this direction? In His word!

There are so many things that I need to do in this psalm. How will this happen? How will my attempts to do these things not be works? I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. It must be through His grace and power that I make this psalm a reality.

Father,

Show me how to make Your word a reality in my life. Show me how to balance Your grace with my responsibility.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment