Wednesday, September 22, 2010

See the Man

Ps. 52:7-9
What a contrast between these two men!
The Unrighteous Man:
  • would not make God His refuge.
  • trusts in his own riches.
  • seeks refuge in his own destruction.

The Righteous Man:

  • is like a green olive tree in the house of God.
  • trusts in the steadfast love of God forever.
  • is thankful because God has done it.

When I think of the first area of contrast, it really clarifies the root of the problem. An unrighteous person is completely self-centered. He refuses what God has to offer because he will not surrender his own rights, riches, and will. But the righteous man goes beyond finding refuge or protection, he is planted, growing, and flourishing in God's house. He is now eternally alive and growing with God. I mean what is better being completely alone vs. finding refuge and growth in the house of God?

Secondly, this passage clarifies the main focus of the unrighteous and the righteous. The ungodly man trusts in his abundant riches. Why does he place his trust in something so fleeting, something subject to corruption, recession, and theft? I think it is because his riches are an extension of himself. He believes he is responsible for all that he has, and he will hang onto this money until his life is gone. But the godly man trusts in the everlasting love of God because this is what saved him, established him in the house of God, and brought about his growth and holiness. God's love is from everlasting to everlasting, untouched by human hands or corruption, and reliable for any and all my needs. Even though my trust is not in riches, why am I still so concerned about money? Why does money still cause me anxiety and poison my trust in Him?

Finally, the ungodly man continues in his way until the point of destruction. It is like his body chemistry is set on the self-destruct mode. But the righteous man knows that God is responsible for all that is in his life. His acknowledgment of God's sovereignty produces within him a heart of thanks echoing throughout eternity.

Quite a difference! I notice that there are times when my old selfish heart cries out for fulfillment, and sadly, sometimes I listen. But I praise God for his forgiveness, salvation, and steadfast love. Without His love, I would be exactly in the fatal self-destruct mode; but with His love, I am growing, protected, and so very thankful.

Father,

What a gift is your great and steadfast love! Thank you for working in my life in such a glorious way. Thank You for being my refuge and my growing place. Continue to root out my fleshly desires.

In Jesus name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment