Sunday, September 19, 2010

More Reasons

Ps. 49

Yesterday, I read Jesus' warning about covetousness and the abundance of possessions, and today in Ps. 49 I read more reasons about the foolishness of this snare. V. 10 says "For he sees that even the wise die; the fool and the stupid alike must perish and leave their wealth to others." Wealth and possessions are not eternal; In fact, not only do they perish, but they can be lost, stolen, or decay in this life. Whether a person is wise or foolish in their handling of wealth and possessions, death still comes, and with death comes loss of all. V. 11-12 says "Their graves are their homes forever, their dwelling places to all generations, though they called lands by their own names. Man in his pomp will not remain; he is like the beasts that perish." In light of this, it seems so much more intelligent to base my life on eternal values than on an abundance of possessions. Why spend time and energy amassing what could be gone in a flash?
Later in this same psalm it says, "Be not afraid when a man becomes rich, when the glory of his house increases. For when he dies he will carry nothing away; his glory will not go down after him. For though, while he lives, he counts himself blessed...his soul will go to the generation of his fathers, who will never again see light. Man in his pomp yet without understanding is like the beasts that perish." Here the psalmist is stressing the same concepts again. I do not need to fear the riches or power of a wealthy man. I do not need to feel inferior in any way because death is the same for all of us. None of this lasts. Recessions, illness, tragedy, and death come regardless of insurance and man's precautions.
The application for me is to press forward for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus and not covet the riches or the possessions of the rich whether they are unbelievers or believers. My eyes need to be focused on Jesus, on my home in heaven, and on His grace and provision for my life.
Father,
Take away from my heart my insecurity about possessions and money. Help me to rely on you without any shade of weakness.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment