Friday, September 10, 2010

Guard My Mouth

Ps. 39:1
"I said, I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue..."
Since sinning with my tongue is an ever present danger, I need to be constantly on guard, vigilant and diligent. Being a guard is not something to be pursued casually or without thought. Guards work with a schedule, using surveillance, checking the perimeter, etc. These are all acts designed to prevent an attack. Similarly, my schedule should include the Word and prayer. It is only as the Spirit convicts my life through the Word that I can spot sin, specifically the sin of my tongue. Prayer, meditation, and Scripture memory establish my perimeter. They keep me healthy, connected to my power source, and operating through His grace. If I am not on guard, sin seems a feasible thing, even justifiable. Being on guard means that I never slip into auto pilot. I must be constantly "watching and praying to keep from falling into temptation."
Father,
Give me the strength to stay on guard, to be fortifying my 'sin sensor' with the Word and the Spirit. Give me the strength to stay diligent and not fall prey to sinning with my mouth.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment