Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Good Soil

Lk. 8:15
"As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the Word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience."
If I believe that my life is good soil, then I need to see if this verse is true in my life. First I must hear the Word. Certainly, hearing comes through sermons, personal study, and even music. But to me it speaks of saturation, hearing the Word constantly because it it in my memory bank; it is my food for meditation; and it is the content of my prayers. If I am not hearing, then the rest of the verse will never happen. The Word is key and pivotal!
Secondly, I must hold fast to the Word with an honest and good heart. Holding fast is hard to define. It could mean to hold on as if my life depends on it, because it does; or it could mean to hold on so strongly that a separation would never happen. It definitely implies permanence, effort, strength, and diligence. This same phrase is used in Rom. 12:9, "Hold fast to what is good," and in Rev. 3:11, "I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown." Holding fast is commanded. It is something that I need to do! Can I hold fast to what is good if I am not holding fast to the Word? The Word is where I learn what is good. How could holding fast to the Word prepare me for the return of Jesus? I Pet. 1:13 says, "Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ." Isn't this preparation contingent on my time in the Word? How am I holding fast to the Word? Am I obeying and growing as I read and study? Am I allowing it prepare me for Jesus' return?
Finally, I am to bear fruit with patience. When I think of fruit-bearing, I think of Jn. 15. "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me." Abiding implies dwelling, intimacy, and familiarity. Am I in the Word in this intimate and personal way? Am I at home in the Word? Am I familiar with His Words enough that they affect my entire life, my every thought? Also, I see that this fruit comes with patience. It is a growth process, and growth is hard. It often includes suffering, pain, trials, and infirmities. If I want to bear fruit with patience, then I must have the power of the Spirit and the power of the Word because I must be in the vine! Am I abiding in the Word enough so that I can produce fruit? Is my fruit healthy and robust, or is it stunted by my waywardness and self-will?
Father,
I believe my soil is good and that you have planted within me the seed of new life. Send Your Spirit to guide me deeper into abiding and intimacy. Infuse me with Your strength to hold fast so that I will be ready and longing for Jesus' return.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment