Monday, September 13, 2010

"This is my Son, my Chosen One."

Lk. 9:35
"And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my son, my Chosen one; listen to Him!"
Jesus was on the mountain praying while Peter slept. When Peter awoke, He saw the glorified Jesus talking to Moses and Elijah. Immediately, Peter spoke out offering to make 3 tents, one for each of them. However, this was heinous to God. In no uncertain terms, He clarified that Jesus was the Son, the Chosen One. The other men were not. In no way could Jesus be put on the same level as the prophets. Peter's response was one of silence. Silence in the light of the glory of Jesus and the voice of God was Peter's smartest move.
The lesson for me is that good men can never be put on the same level as Jesus. Moses and Elijah were great prophets who did great things for God, but that does not qualify them to be worshiped as Jesus was or should be. Following a man is never honoring to God. A man, regardless of his love for the Lord or his holiness, is still a man. God stated clearly that men should have no other gods before Him, that includes other men. Honoring men for their service or their ministry is a human tradition, a tradition that feeds pride. In God's economy, "whoever is least among you is the one who is great." The honor that men offer is a snare to the flesh. When the flesh takes the bait, it rises up seeking the praise of men and not the grace of God. God is then demoted. Not good! God wants my singular worship and praise unpolluted by other men.
Father,
Keep my eyes focused only on You and not on other people. Extinguish my desire for human praise as I serve You. Keep my service and ministry free from pride's pollutants.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment