Thursday, September 2, 2010

Love the Lord

Ps. 31:23-24
"Love the Lord, all you his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord."
What great closing statements for this psalm! First, David begins with a seemingly simple command, "Love the Lord." But is it really simple? Perhaps the exclamation point is pointing out the the significance of the command. It is not, love the Lord, but LOVE THE LORD! David is saying that our love for God should be fervent and all consuming. This kind of 'all-caps' love comes from a heart that is united toward God (Ps. 86:11). What about my love? Could I describe it as 'all-caps'?
Next David gives a promise with a warning. He will preserve those who are faithful to him, but at the same time, He will repay those who act in pride. This repayment is in abundance which implies that God does not gloss over pride because it is an affront to His holiness. Pride is seeking to put self in the place of God. God has stated clearly that there will be no other gods before Him, even the gods of my own making and of my own flesh. Which will I choose--preservation or repayment? Logically, it's not a hard choice, but in reality, it is not so easy. My flesh and pride hang on with a grip that takes divine prying to loosen. Am I willing to have God pry my pride grip loose? Am I desiring to truly be faithful in heart, flesh, and soul? Are my heart and soul united toward God?
David ends with, "Be strong, and let your heart take courage." Perhaps he knew personally how hard it was to be rid of pride, but at the same time he also knew the preserving power of God. He had experienced it so many times when people were after him. Even though he knew God would protect him, I am sure that he was still afraid at times. While he waited for God, he needed strength and courage. What a reminder for me! Am I waiting for God to preserve and protect? Am I calling for His strength to be my strength? Am I allowing Him to be my courage and not going ahead in the pride of my flesh? Sadly, the waiting often brings my flesh into full power.
Father,
Drive the meaning of these verses into my heart and flesh. Reveal my pride so that I may confess it and seek for Your strength in its place. Thank You for giving me such mighty promises.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment