Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Distracted with much Serving

Lk. 10:40, 42
"But Martha was distracted with much serving. Ans she went up to Him and said, 'Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her to help me.' But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are anxious and trouble about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."
I find this account[Lk. 10:38-42] so revealing about the nature of women. We tend to be distracted with many things and much serving. As we view our homes and families, we see all the things that need to be done, the laundry, the cooking, the needs of the children and the husband. The list is long and overwhelming. As we plow in to conquer, we tend to exclude sitting at the Lord's feet and listening to His teaching. For me, this story is a strong reminder.
First I notice that this serving, regardless of the specific venue, is distracting. It takes my focus off spiritual issues and places it on non-eternal issues. Anything, even something completely necessary, that is a distraction needs to be carefully examined. I think that distraction implies more about my focus than my specific actions. How do I view the serving that I must do? Am I so involved in it that I exclude my worship?
Secondly, I see that this distracting service wants company. I don't like to do it alone because I think I need help or companionship. It's not wrong to share different tasks and responsibilities, but it is wrong when this time excludes Jesus. Is my desiring help keeping others from their time with the Lord? Am I guiding my family to the Lord or away from time with Him?
Third, these distractions produce anxiety. I think it is because these tasks are unending. If they are my total focus, they give me a feeling of hopelessness and exhaustion. Am I going to the Lord for His strength as I accomplish the daily chores that I have? Have I sought Him first before I begin the day?
Finally, a choice needs to be made. Mary chose the good portion, that is sitting at the feet of Jesus. If I chose this portion, like Mary, it will not be taken away from me. I do want to be like Mary. I want to chose the good portion where I am sitting at the feet of Jesus learning from His Words.
Father,
Thank you for this story that says so much about my choices and the use of my time. Give me Your strength to chose the good portion, to be sitting at your feet learning and worshiping.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment