Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hall of Fame

Lk. 8:39
"Return to you home, and declare how much God has done for you." And he went away proclaiming throughout the whole city how much Jesus had done for him."
Luke 8 is like a hall of fame of Jesus' great power. First He demonstrates His power over nature when he rebukes the wind and the waters. His question to His fearful disciples was, "Where is your faith?" Faith is at the very core of understanding the great power of Jesus. Next Jesus shows His power over demonic forces when he cast Legion out of a possessed man. Legion's new direction was straight into the herd of pigs, into the lake, and eventual drwoning. I find it interesting that demons know exactly who Jesus is whereas man is often confused. Thirdly, Jesus demonstrates his power to heal the sick. As Jesus is on His way to heal a young girl, a chronically ill woman touches the fringe of His garment and is healed. After finding the woman, He speaks personally to her, "Daughter you faith has made you well. Go in peace." Here as before faith is at the heart of the matter. She believed Jesus could heal her so much so that she only desired a touch not even His full attention. What power He had! Finally, Jesus shows His power over death. Someone from the young girl's house reports her death to Him, but Jesus is not deterred. When He arrives, they laugh at Him because they are so convinced it is a lost cause. Their mockery has no influence over Jesus or over His great power. He simply says, "Child, arise." After her spirit returned, she got up and ate to the amazement of her parents.
Is Jesus' power over demons, nature, illness, or even death any more powerful than His power to save a human soul? When I read these stories, I thought how cool it would be to have witnessed those events. But when I think about it, I realize that the saving of a human soul is a far greater thing. It is not just for this life, but for eternity, changing the entire course of a man's existence from hell to heaven giving that person a completely changed nature. What a powerful God I serve!
I love the man's response. Jesus told him to go home and declare what Jesus had done to Him. Isn't that what He tells me to do? It says that the man went home and proclaimed. He obeyed! When I think about what Jesus has done for me, I wonder how often have I proclaimed what Jesus has done? Have I been obedient in this most basic of commands? I am sure that this man had no training or teaching in evangelism. He was sharing from His experience. I must do the same!!
Father,
Your power is so great! My heart cries out in grateful thanks for the miracle of new life and the gift of faith to believe. Without Your powerful work in me, I would be lost and without hope. I praise Your name for Your great love and compassion.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment