Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Salt is Good

Lk. 14:34-35
"Salt is good, but if salt has last its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is of no use either for the soil or for the manure pile. It is thrown away. He who has ears to hear. let him hear."
In Bible times salt from the Dead Sea contained impurities that demanded proper processing. If this was not done, then poor taste would result making the salt inedible and nearly indisposable. Jesus uses 'salt' as an image for believers to illustrate their nature and their weaknesses. Jesus said in Mt. 5:13, "You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet." Here, Jesus is talking about the nature and character of those who follow Him. Why did Jesus choose salt to express his desire for believers? Perhaps Jesus chose salt because of its preserving qualities, its healing qualities, and its seasoning qualities. If believers have tasted that the Lord is good, and He is, then this taste of the one, true goodness should in turn affect the flavor and usefulness of their own salt. But how would my salt lose its taste? What would destroy its usefulness and make it good for nothing not even garbage? In the case of the Dead Sea, it was impurities that were not processed away. Similarly, my flesh is a fountain of impurities. If left unprocessed or unconfessed, then sin in all its polluting potential begins destroying my salt, jading the flavor, and destroying its usefulness. Since Jesus is serious about my saltiness, He warns me and all believers to listen and understand. I need to keep free from sin so that my salt will be what God wants it to be. That final question is haunting, 'How shall its saltiness be restored?' The answer is, it can't. God has given me a gift to be treasured and nurtured not to be carelessly dirtied. I must listen and heed this warning.
Father,
Show me how to keep my salt pure and useful. Convict me of the sin that dirties this great gift. Help me to share the great taste of Jesus to all who are hungry.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment