Monday, September 20, 2010

Thanksgiving

Ps. 50:23
"The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me..."
God desires my thanksgiving so much so that it glorifies His name. It is not something that I have to ponder, it states it out rightly: thanksgiving brings Him glory. The first thing that comes to mind is 'why'. I think it is so important because it expresses my heart's response to God's sovereign plan and purpose for my life. If I am thankful, I am not striving against Him or life as He has designed it. It also expresses my contentment in what God has given me: appearance, talents, finances, social status, friends, family, possessions, etc. The realm of thankfulness encompasses all of my life. It is one thing to say I am thankful, but it is another thing to mean it. How many times do I feel bad about how I look or what my clothes look like? How many times do I want more or think that what I have is not sufficient? How many times do I feel inadequate and untalented? True thankfulness is no easy task! What I can be truly thankful for is His grace to help me be thankful in all the other areas!
Another thing that I notice is that it is a 'sacrifice' of thanksgiving. A sacrifice implies self-denial, singleness of heart, and 100% commitment. So this sacrifice of thanksgiving doesn't come easy; it comes at great, personal cost. I think that the cost is associated with valuing Jesus and my relationship with Him more than any worldly thing. If Jesus is my one true love, than my love for the world is no longer pulling me away from Him. Jesus, His Word, my time with Him in prayer, and fellowship with other believers all must become a priority or else the world will push them out of their rightful place. To offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving says something about how I live my life. No wonder it brings glory to God! Am I practically willing to sacrifice all for Jesus, or do I just give lip-service to this offering?
Father,
Send your Spirit to examine my heart, convicting me of what needs to go. Give my Your grace and strength to cut those ties that are binding me to the world and away from bringing glory to You. Make all my thanksgiving be a sacrifice of thanksgiving.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment