Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sing of Your Strength

Ps. 59:16-17
"But I will sing of Your strength; I will sing aloud of Your steadfast love in the morning.
For You have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress.  O my Strength, I will sing praises to You, for You, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love."

When I see the psalmist's enthusiasm for God, I wonder about mine.  Certainly, God shows me the same strength and steadfast love, so should my response be any less?  What would be preventing that degree of enthusiasm?
First, how exactly did David respond? His response was one of singing, not a quiet singing in the heart, but a out loud singing of God's strength and steadfast love.  His singing began in the morning, and I am pretty sure, continued throughout the day keeping him in worshipful state. In this state of singing and worship, He was one on one with God pouring out his heart to God for all the grace that God had shown him.  As a result, he was praising God.  Not only was he praising God, but he calls God by the name, Strength,. He realized that God was strength perfected, all strength at all times to David.  Just as God is the 'all' of each of His attributes, so is He all strength. David knew this practically because God had been his personal fortress and refuge.  God had revealed Himself to David in a practical way delivering him, keeping him safe, and loving him steadfastly.
After considering David's heart in this psalm, I must ask myself.  Do I know God's attributes and know them in a very real and practical way?  Do I live like God is my Strength? Maybe the reason my praise is not as passionate as David's is because my vision of God is lacking, my time in the Word is limited, and my obedient response is flawed.  For me to praise God wholeheartedly and with great passion, I need to know God in all His majesty and glory.

Father,
Thank You for showing me David's heart.  Help my heart to know You, love You, and praise You like I should.  Forgive me for not seeing You as I should.
In Jesus name,
Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment