Saturday, September 18, 2010

Be on Guard

Lk. 12:15
"And He said to them, Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of His possessions."
I am not only to be careful but also to be on guard. Why is Jesus is commanding double protection against covetousness? Could it be that the flesh is particularly prone to possessions, so much so that the end result is coveting other people's possessions? If this is the case, how can I guard against it? What can I do to stop this fleshly response to covetousness?
First, Jesus wants me to realize that life's value is not determined by possessions. Paul said that he counted all things as loss because of the surpassing worth of Jesus. Since his life was lived for Jesus alone, he willingly suffered the loss of all things and counted them rubbish. Here is a changed mindset! His focus was on what was ahead not on what was behind. Where is my focus and mindset? Am I thinking about possessions, even convincing myself that I need them, or am I counting all 'things' as merely temporal things?
I notice that the verse says the 'abundance' of possessions. That speaks to me of many, of desiring the newest things, or of a love of shopping and buying. If I am to change my mindset, then I have to dethrone things! I must start in the practical realm, in the shopping and buying. I think that is where the love of possessions takes over. I must not only stop the shop, but put something eternal in its place. Quiting is not enough because it just leaves a hunger for what I don't have or for what I see others have. I need to throw my energies, my time, and my money into eternal things, into things that honor and glorify God.
This is a hard issue. Comparison comes into play as I look around and see what others have allowing my covetousness to turn into envy. To really get a handle on this, I must pray and ask God for His grace. It is grace that will fill the void when I empty out the love of possessions.
Father,
Give me the strength to see the truth. Help me to empty and to fill back up with you. Help me to use the grace that You freely offer.
In Jesus name,
Amen

1 comment: