Friday, September 3, 2010

Be about My Father's Business

Lk. 2:49
"And He said to them,"Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be about my Father's business?
In verse 38 of this chapter, it says that Jesus grew, became strong, was filled with wisdom, and had the favor of God upon Him. I wonder what Jesus' parents thought? Did they think that they were outstanding parents who had done everything right? Or did they realize that Jesus' growth and development came from His Father in heaven?

Every year His parents went to Jerusalem for the Passover, and this year the twelve year old Jesus accompanied them on this journey. After a day's time on their travel home, His parents noticed Jesus was missing. Imagine the frantic search! To lose a child is such a helpless feeling. In such a diverse location, where would they look? They began with family, but then ended up back in Jerusalem. It took 3 tortuous days to find Him! What a deal! I can only imagine the depth of their anxiety. They went to the temple where He was listening and asking questions of the teachers. Into this scholoarly scene rushed his parents. Astonished, Mary simply asked why He had treated them this way? Now that she saw He was safe, she was concerned about His disregard for them. How could He do this? What had happened to her perfect child? Where was her stellar parenting now?

Jesus responded almost as if He were not their child. "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" The passage says that they didn't understand Him or what He was saying. How many times have parents felt this way? How many times are they at a loss to understand what is truly going on? But this situation is different. Jesus was not rebelling, He had a higher mission that He had to accomplish. I think when Jesus heard their reply, he understood their position and their pain. The verse says He came to Nazareth with them and was submissive to them becoming their child again.
Even though she didn't fully understand, Mary treasured these things in her heart. Perhaps they evoked a memory of her visit with the angel and the birth of Jesus. Perhaps this incident was another piece of the puzzle that she was beginning to see take shape. Jesus did continue to grow in favor with God and with man, including His parents. But what I like is Mary's response. When she didn't quite understand something, she pondered it. She tucked it away to dwell on and bring out at a later time. I imagine that she thought a lot about Jesus and His Father's business as He began His earthly ministry. As a mother, I was often overwhelmed and at a loss as to what to do with a child, but what a difference it would be if your child were the Son of God? Thank God for His grace in life, in parenting, and in waiting!
Father,
Help me to treasure in my heart those things that are hard to understand. Help me to wait patiently for Your will to be worked out. Lead me in following the example of Jesus as He was about Your business.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment