Saturday, September 25, 2010

God be Merciful

Lk. 18:13
"God be merciful to me a sinner."

At times in the past, I understood the hypocrisy of the Pharisee, but the problem was that I thought  that his hypocrisy was much worse than any hypocrisy that was in my life.  I identified much more with the tax collector.  But the more I think about it, the more I see hypocrisy deeply embedded in my life.  The Pharisee prided himself on his tithing, his sexual purity, and his proper money handling, all things that were very visible. But I think these things were indicative of his inner man. Even though things looked good on the outside, what were his inside, internal emotions, and attitudes of pride? My internal emotions and attitudes surface in the number of times I look at others and compare myself to them to see how I measure up?  After looking at others, how often do I think that I am alright spiritually?  How many times have I thought I am so thankful that I am not like the Pharisee? When I read this passage, how many times do I immediately look to my heart and to the non-visible hypocrisy in my life? Sadly, not enough. I think the Pharisee's life is something that I own in a very real way. But because of God's grace, I don't have to remain a Pharisee.  I can be like the tax collector and cry out to God for His mercy and cleansing.

I think that the tax collector must have been in touch with his sin.  He must have known how black his heart truly was. He didn't play mind games with himself, deceive himself, or evaluate himself on the basis of comparison. I think that his focus was on his heart rrelationship to God.  He knew that in the light of God's holiness, his heart and life were black with sin.  He knew his great need for grace and humbly cried out for it. 

When I read about these two men, I see what is often inside of me and what is often surfacing in me. I am a mixture of them both when at times I struggle with pride and comparison, and at times, confess and cry out for God's mercy.  What a lesson I can learn from both of them!  The Pharisee gives me a graphic picture of hidden sin while the tax collector gives me a picture of humble repentance.

Father,
Thank You for speaking so clearly to me about my inner man, about my pride, about comparing myself to others.  Help me to look only to You and Your words for the true measure of my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment