Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Rejoice

Lk. 10:20

"Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

My rejoicing must only be in the fact that my name is written in heaven. Case in point, the disciples returned rejoicing at the power that they had in the name of Jesus, power to tread on snakes and scorpions, and power over the enemy. But, Jesus immediately reminded them that this power was a gift of grace, a gift to be used to spread His kingdom, a gift not to be used for personal prowess. He also reminded them of Satan's fall from heaven, of his prideful abuse of power because He didn't want these men to fall prey to the same root of pride. Pride has an insatiable hunger. Once it gets a taste of glory, it won't stop without more. I know that my flesh cries out for recognition when I have been party to something of note or something exciting. But Jesus says, No. My rejoicing is not in my giftedness, but in His grace that brought me salvation. My rejoicing is in being saved!!! My name is written in heaven!!! What more could I want?
Father,
Keep my eyes off my flesh and focused on you. Help my service to bring You glory with none for myself. Blot out my sinful desire for my own personal praise and glory. Thank You for writing my name in heaven.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment