Friday, May 20, 2011

As a Deer Pants

Ps. 42:1-2
"As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for he living God. When shall I come and appear before God?"

Such longing for God! I picture the running deer, exhausted and needy in search of the one thing that can satisfy. Water! His need is so great that normal breathing is not even possible. His hope for life depends solely on his finding water. What a graphic picture! Have I ever longed so deeply for God?  Has my spiritual need become a physical need that must be satisfied?

The psalmist's thinks his needs will be met in worship, but his enemies are somehow blocking his ability to come before the Lord. He is cast down, discouraged, and mourning. The taunting of his enemies is like a deadly wound in his bones making him believe that God has deserted him, that God will not come to his aid. At the conclusion of the psalm, the psalmist talks to himself questioning his thoughts and his emotions.  Why does he listen to the enemy? But, thankfully, he ends the psalm on a high note. "Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God."  The psalmist's hope in God is enough to pull him out of the deeps and bring him to His God. He knows God is His salvation. He only has to trust. He has to focus on God who is his song in the night.

Father,
When life is overwhelming, keep me listening to your voice. Keep me so close to You that I hear you song above the taunts and the tears.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment