Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sacrifice of Thanksgiving

Ps. 53:14-15
"Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you and you shall glorify me."

What is the sacrifice of thanksgiving that God desires? This verse makes me think of Ps. 51: 17, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise."
For me the broken and contrite heart speak of dependence and helplessness, of a life altering awareness of sin in comparison to the holiness of God. It is this complete inability to be holy that is my living sacrifice, my offering to God. How can I be anything but thankful for a God who floods me with His grace, whose power is perfected in my weakness. Amazingly, God doesn't what my gifts or my achievements. Instead He only desires me to want Him. 

Father,
I confess plunging ahead in my own strength. Give me Your strength to depend on You and to offer You a sacrifice of thanksgiving. Constantly show me my helplessness.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment