Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Father's Heart

II Sam. 18:33
"And the king was deeply moved and went up to the chamber over the gate and wept. And as he went, he said, 'O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son.'"

I am sure that Absalom grieved the heart of his father when he raped his half-sister, was exiled, tricked his way back home,  instituted a rebellion, and tried to steal his father's throne. But even at the end, after David had fled Jerusalem, he commanded, "protect the young man Absalom for my sake." He deserved death, but David's heart was too full of love to order it. Some soldiers heeded the king's command, but Joab did not. He took three javelins and thrust them into Absalom's heart. Absalom's life ended horribly. He was buried in a great pit in the forest with a heap of stones over him. When David heard the news, he was undone. He wept uncontrollably and wished he had died instead of his son. What a heart!

David's heart reminds me of God's heart for mankind. No matter what man does, God reaches out in love for us. His heart was grieved so much that He sent His son to die for us. He did take our place so that we might live. What love is this!

Father,
Thank You for such great love! I can't really comprehend why You would do this, but I am so thankful that You did.
In Jesus name,
Amen

1 comment:

  1. In my arrogance it seems easier for God to love me than for David to still love Absolam so much. How wrong I am.

    ReplyDelete