Monday, May 23, 2011

Mourning into Dancing

Ps. 30:11-12
"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing Your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever!"

David had displeased and disobeyed the Lord by failing to trust Him to provide the man power he needed for battle. Somehow David thought a census, a solid count would assuage his doubts. Even though Joab warned him against this action, he went ahead. The result: judgment from God. God gave him a choice of three possibilities. He chose the natural disaster so that he would be totally at the mercy of God. God did show mercy and stay His hand over Jerusalem, but before that many died throughout the land. David's choice and sin resulted in a personal judgment but one that also took many lives throughout the land. David mourned for his own sin and loss, but also for the loss of life in the land. He was the king who had willingly jeopardized the lives of those who trusted him. What grief!

But God did change his heart and loose his sackcloth. Happiness and joy became a reality as he praised the Lord. I see two lessons: first my sin always has far reaching influences. Even though it is my choice, my choice affects others that God has placed in my life. Secondly, there is judgment as well as grace after confession and repentance. God doesn't gloss over sin, but he does change the mourning into gladness. Through His grace and mercy, I can praise His name again and rejoice that He continues to work in my life.

Even though David was known as a man after God's own heart, he was a man of flesh. He sinned grievously with far reaching consequences, but he never allowed that to keep him in sin. When convicted and confronted by the words of God, he confessed and repented. His relationship with God was the driving force of his life. When confronted, do I always confess and repent immediately? 

Father,
Keep me tender to Your words so that I can know, confess, and repent of my sins. Help me to love You more than anything that my flesh has to offer. Change my mourning into dancing and my grief into gladness.
In Jesus name,
Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment