Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Lord Is My Shepherd

Ps. 23:1
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want;"

David's relationship with God was described in simple terms: God was his shepherd. Being a shepherd was something that David understood personally since his youth was spent shepherding his father's sheep.Similarly, His relationship with God followed a shepherding pattern.  
  • He had given him green pastures, a safe place to rest and feed.
  • He had brought him to the waters for his soul to be restored.
  • He had led him in right paths for His name's sake.
  • He was with him in the valley of death.
  • He had no fear of evil.
  • His rod and staff were a comfort to him (Nathan, the prophet).
  • He had prepared a table before him in the presence of his enemies (and there were many in pursuit).
  • He anointed his head with oil (for kingship).
  • He gave him an overflowing cup (riches and blessings).
  • His goodness and mercy followed him for his whole life (especially with Bathsheba).
  • He allowed him to dwell in His house forever.
What blessings! God longs to satisfy the human heart as he did David's. What He has given to David, he desires to give all those who come to Him as sheep needing a shepherd. And all this He does not because of the beauty or worth of the sheep, but for His own name's sake. He has chosen His sheep, and once chosen, He is faithful to them. I can say with confidence that His rod and staff are a comfort to me. Even His discipline is for my good. I know that His goodness and mercy are my companions, and I will dwell in His house forever. Blessed be God!

Father,
Thank You for choosing me to be Your sheep, and for caring for me with Your rod as well as Your staff. Your mercy and goodness are my daily benefits. Blessed be Your name.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment