Sunday, May 8, 2011

Guard My Ways

Ps. 39:1
"I said, I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue."

How easy it is to sin with my tongue! James has called it a world of iniquity that sets on fire the course of nature. Something with this  potential for damage definitely needs a guard. I notice that it is my ways that I am guarding because out of my ways come my words. If I am frustrated in a situation, I spout off. I I am disturbed by an event, then I express my displeasure. My ways and my words are vitally linked.

What does it mean practically for me to guard my ways? I am thinking it has a lot to do with praying throughout the day and keeping my vital connection with God. It is certainly not something that I do in my own strength, because if it were, I were surely fail. Guarding means crying out for His grace to handle all my ways so that my mouth may always honor and glorify God.

In v. 6 of this psalm it says, "O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"  What better way for me to know the end of my flesh than through my tongue! If I, in my own strength, try and control my tongue than I am like David when he said,  I was mute and silent; I held my peace to no avail, and my distress grew worse."  It is not enough to remain silent through my own strength and control. It is only enough when grace is in control, when my sufficiency is His sufficiency. "And God is able to make all grace abound to me, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all time, I may abound in every good work." 

Father,
Thank You for this grace that can be my sufficiency. Keep teaching me Your way so that I might not sin with my tongue.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment