Saturday, May 7, 2011

This Is a Small Thing

I Chron. 17:17a, 19-20
"And this was a small thing in Your eyes, O God...For Your servant's sake, O Lord, and according to your own heart, you have done all this greatness, in making known all these great things. There is none like You, O Lord, and there is no God besides You.."

David was convinced that God had fully orchestrated his life; and even though these details were a huge thing to David, he knew that to God they were a small thing. What an important insight! If I believe that the things that God does in my life are small in the grand scheme of things, then I would have no reason to doubt God's power and plan for my life. I would have no reason to think He was unaware of  my needs and concerns,or think that He needed my help to solve my problems. I could fully rest in Him because He does all according to His own greatness! And there is none greater!

What a closeness David must have had with God! He understood this important concept in the very core of his being, and it then emanated outward to the practical areas of his life. Even though I understand God's sovereignty and His great power and my smallness in relation to His greatness, I still grip tightly to the details of my life. I am so thankful for the trials and afflictions that come into my life because God is showing me that my grasp on life is fairly powerless, and into this humble insight comes unlimited grace. Just yesterday, our car repair was substantially more than we had anticipated. Why did I come unglued? Why didn't I trust in my sovereign God and live like this car repair was really a small thing to Him. How foolish is my flesh!

Father,
Continue to teach me to trust You and Your unlimited power. Help me not to be undone by life but to come to you.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment