Monday, February 20, 2012

Acceptable Speech

Prov. 10:6
Blessings are on the head of the righteous, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence.

Early on in chapter 10, the importance of godly speech is evident. The speech of a righteous man brings blessing while the wicked mouth merely conceals violence, acts that are too evil to mention; no doubt, acts that are orchestrated with his mouth. In fact, the mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life,but the wicked mouth only destroys life. Obviously the mouth has the potential to be a blessing and a curse! It can give life and cause destruction! As James said And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness...setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell...It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people, who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth comes blessing and cursing. Oh dear! What a duplicitous member resides within my body!

This chapter provides a mirror for me to see and evaluate my heart and my mouth. Am I looking intently at my natural face in the mirror and then going away and forgetting, or am I listening to the words of God and heeding what He says? Be doers of the Word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
  • On the lips of him who has understanding, wisdom is found. Do I speak before I understand a situation? Am I spouting off because of my injured flesh or am I seeking wisdom from God? 
  • The one who conceals hatred has lying lips, and whoever utters slander is a fool. Is there any speck of deception in my heart? Am I transparent and honest in all that I say? Have I confessed and forsaken negative feelings towards others?
  • When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent. Excess talking opens a dangerous door. I need to be quiet and show restraint. Do I think before I speak?
  • The tongue of the righteous is choice silver; the heart of the wicked is of little worth. Valuable speech comes from a righteous heart. What is the value of what I say? Is righteousness my motive? Am I godly in all my words?
  • The lips of the the righteous feed many, but fools die for lack of sense. Are my words bringing health and life to others? Am I sharing the life-giving Word in all that I do? 
  • The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but the perverse tongue will be cut off. Am I seeking wisdom and righteousness? Is wisdom the mark of my life?
  • The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable, but the mouth of the wicked, what is perverse. Acceptability comes from a righteous heart. Do I desire to be acceptable to God or to man? Am I living by His standard of righteousness?
My heart cries out for the wisdom from above, wisdom that is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of good fruits and mercy, impartial, and sincere, and a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

Father,
I am praying Your words every day and asking You to grow me in righteousness and wisdom. Make my mouth and my words reflect Your holiness.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment