Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Listening Ear

Prov. 15:31-33
The ear that listens to the life-giving reproof will dwell among the wise. Whoever ignores instruction despises himself, but he who listens to reproof gains intelligence. The fear of the Lord is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor.

Oh the wisdom of listening! Quick to hear, Slow to speak, and slow to anger...How many times am I so focused on controlling anger that I forget that listening is essential to self-control? If I listen, and listen to apply, then a life-giving reproof will result. Actual wisdom will find fertile ground within my heart to grow and multiply. But if I ignore instruction, thinking that I know better, I am actually despising myself because I am not desiring what is beneficial for myself. Indulgence is not a gain! But a willingness to listen and learn is a gain! Not only that but listening and heeding a reproof increases intelligence and wisdom. How is this related to the fear of the Lord? Receiving a reproof from God or from people creates humility. It keeps self off the throne of my life and puts God where He should be. When humility is in control, then my heart is submissive and obedient before God.  ?When I am obediently fearing the Lord, I am growing in His wisdom. So what should my attitude be toward a reproof? I should embrace a reproof as the means of growth, as an path to humility, and as the way to fearing the Lord. What a spiritual blessing is gained from listening, listening to the entire matter! Listening and forgetting my pride! Listening and being open to reason!

Father,
Keep me ever listening to You and those You bring into my path. Help me to humbly receive a reproof and gain wisdom from it.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment