Thursday, February 16, 2012

By Faith

Heb. 11:20-40
[Continued]

What radical faith is this! These people who only looked forward to the promise of Jesus endured so much, and yet we have so much and endure so little! How sad!

  • By faith Isacc was able to give future blessings to his sons showing his hope and trust in God. My hope is in God as well.
  • By faith Joseph was able to believe in the exodus of his people and the returning of his bones to his homeland. He believed in the promised land as I eagerly wait for my promised home in heaven.
  • By faith Moses' life was preserved against political edicts. God's sovereign power is over all, especially the affairs of men and governments.
  • By faith when Moses when grown, even after living in Pharoah's house, chose rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin for a season. What a choice! Life threatening over life indulging! Eternal over temporal! He wanted the reproach of Christ because he looked forward to the reward. Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what like ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
  • By faith Moses left Egypt despite the anger of the king. He endured by focusing on Him who is invisible such a focus as this eliminates the fear of this world.
  • By faith Moses kept the Passover and sprinkled the blood to preserve the lives of their firstborn. His blood is what I must share with others so their lives can be saved as well.
  • By faith Israel passed through the Red Sea on dry land, but in the same waters the Egyptians were drowned. Miracle!
  • By faith the wall of Jericho collapsed by merely encircling them for seven days and blasting horns. Miracle!
  • By faith, Rahab, a mere prostitute was used of God to save the lives of the spies and her own life. Salvation is for all! No sin is too black!
  • By faith, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel, and the prophets--who through faith conquered kingdoms, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched fire, escaped the sword, were made strong out of weakness, were mighty in war, and put armies to flight. All in the power of God through their faith in God, not in their own personal intelligence, strength, or military prowess. For when I am weak, then I am strong!
  • The list goes on of the terrible things that these heroes endured: death, torture, refusal of release because they wanted a better life, mocking, flogging, chains, imprisonment, stoning, sawn in two, killed with sword, dsititue, afflicted, mistreated, and naked, yet they were faithful, unwavering until the end. What faith is this!
After I read this chapter, I must ask myself what kind of faith do I have? The list concludes with this statement: of whom the world was not worthy. And to think that with all that they suffered and endured, they still did not receive the promises, but only looked forward to Jesus! They had to wait for what I received, the better One, Jesus Christ.

As I compare my faith to theirs, I notice an abdication of this world and a wholehearted desire for the world yet to come in them. Their commitment was unwavering and unaltered by anything that the world had to offer. The promise consumed them! Has Jesus consumed me?

Father,
Grow my faith so that I might focus on You only. Make me see Your hand in all that comes into my life, the good and the bad.
In the name of the Promised One,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment