Sunday, February 12, 2012

Wisdom

Prov. 2:4-6
If you seek it (wisdom) like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

I have been praying Jas. 3:17-18 asking that the Lord would makes these verses a reality in my life. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial, and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. Even as I read these verses again, I realize that these can only be accomplished in the power of the Lord. So what should I do? Seek it, seek it like silver and hidden treasure!! Treasure hunters often become obsessed with their mission (or their greed). The hunt seems to control their lives. That is the intensity that I must have! Seeking God's wisdom must control my life. It is only then that I will know and understand the fear of the Lord and the knowledge of God.  The Lord is the source of wisdom, knowledge, and understanding!

What a contrast between the wisdom of man and the wisdom of God! I am not sure that the world buys into any of these qualities. Purity is something that is long gone in our culture, and it seems that those with the most power and supposed wisdom are the least pure. Who is peaceable? If someone were really desiring to live at peace with others, they wouldn't be putting themselves first. And the American dream is going after what 'I' want! Gentleness is viewed as weakness, and being open to reason is interpreted as toleration of all to the exclusion of any Biblical principles. I mean if I believed in God that would not be tolerant of other religions! How much mercy and good fruits are visible? Although it is true that humanitarian gestures are touted, but on an individual level are people merciful? Good fruits is not something that can be compared at all since they are only produced by the Spirit of God. Impartiality and sincerity are replaced with getting ahead by who you know or kissing up to those who can advance your cause, and duplicity on so many levels. Just after a casual look at the world, it is obvious that the wisdom I must seek is God's! He is the One who gives it and grows it inside His children. And for what purpose? Not to make me special or a person of importance, but so that I might know Him and fear Him!! It all comes down to Him and bringing glory to His name!

Father,
Teach me Your wisdom. Make it a reality in my life. Grow me in Your word and grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment