Thursday, February 23, 2012

Hope Deferred

Prov. 13:12
Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life.

Hope gives health to the heart of man! Perhaps the lack of hope in the world is a major contributing cause of suicide, abuse, and even crime. Without hope, where does man go? To what does he look forward? To what does he cling? Similarly, in the Christian world hope is of key importance. It was a constant looking forward to the city that was yet to come that fueled the endurance of the saints in Heb. 11. They were willing to die in faith because, even though they had not seen the promise fulfilled, they believed in these promises. They staked their lives on this hope for a heavenly city whose builder and maker was God. Certainly time has elapsed, but the hope of Heb. 11 is alive, well, and giving health to the hearts of believers today. Therefore since I am surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses (to this great hope), I am to lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and run with endurance the race that is set before me, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of my faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. What builds this magnificient hope? It is looking to Jesus! The focus of this hope is eternal and infinite, without change and ever faithful. It is built on His sacrificial love for me and grows that same love in my heart. It is a love that constantly and unfailingly fuels the hope of endurance!

My heart also clings to His soon and sure return! For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words. Encouragement comes from this glorious hope, a hope that is rooted in the resurrected Jesus who conquered death. He will come for me and take me to be with Him eternally. What could defer this hope? Is is anything that Jesus would or would not do? No, it comes back to me and Hebrews 12. If I take my eyes off Jesus, then the love of the world obstructs my focus. Then hope wanes, and I am spiritually sick. Jesus must be my desire-fulfilled in the day to day, in the near future, and in the distant future. His hope is not dimmed by time but flourishes over time. The longer I wait, the greater the joy! He is not only hope in the future, but He is hope in the present!   

Father,
Thank You for infusing my life and spirit full of this great hope. Keep my eyes on Jesus and on the hope of eternity, a hope free of sin and full of praise. Keep me heart-healthy.
In the name of Hope,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment