Friday, February 24, 2012

The Fear of the Lord

Prov. 14:26-27
In the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death.

Why does fearing the Lord give confidence? What kind of fear brings confidence? Normally, fear undermines confidence, but perhaps fearing God has a total different meaning than what fear normally means. Since God is sovereign in will and purpose, fearing [respecting] Him and His plan would make sense. But what exactly does that mean? Does it mean living in accord with God and His plan? Does it mean revering and respecting Him for the goodness of His plan for me, or does it mean revering and respecting Him for whatever His plan brings into my life? Does it mean living with the same purpose that God had for my life? All of that sounds like it would be fine, but at the same time, the Bible says that it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. So there must be an element of judgment intermixed with His love. There must be consequences, but I know that these consequences come at the hand of a loving heavenly Father in the form of judgment and discipline, discipline that proves I am His child. So whatever comes down the road, whether good or bad, I can trust my Father that it was formed in His sovereign plan and purpose for me. Because of this one fact,  have confidence in Him and in His plan for me. I fear Him because of His infinite loving wisdom and justice, because of His unalterable character, and because of His perfect plan for my redemption. In fear, respect, and reverence, I follow His plan and have confidence not just for myself but for my children. Because of my relationship with God, the divine umbrella extends over my family. This same fear of the Lord brings me life, life in the day-to-day routine and life for eternity. I will not die but will live with Him throughout endless ages.

Fearing Him means living in His presence and respecting His plan and purpose, whether it is seen from my perspective or from His. From my point of view, it means trusting Him for each little step that I take, but from His point of view, it means that my life completes the picture of redemption that He has set in motion from before time began, a plan that is concerned with my holiness and not my comfort. I am part of His plan!! How glorious! Why would I ever want to get off the Master's canvas and try and paint my own picture? Why would I want to have a plan of my own when I know it would fail? Why wouldn't I seek instruction from the Creator's manual instead of piecing one together after the fact? Living in the fear of the Lord means my mind, heart, spirit, strength, and soul [all of me] are united in Him! Nothing of me and all of Him! But how? Sounds impossible! But with God all things are possible! I am the vine and you are the branches. Whoever it is that abides in me and I in Him, He it is that bears much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. There it is. Living in the fear of the Lord is a process of growth and abiding, one that comes as a gift of grace.

Father,
Teach me Your way, O Lord, that I may walk in Your truth. Unite my heart to fear Your name.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment