Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Fruit of the Mouth

Prov. 12:14
From the fruit of his mouth a man is satisfied with good, and the work of a man's hand comes back to him.

What is the fruit of a man's mouth? How does what he says satisfy him with good? First, this chapter says that the words of the wicked lie in wait for blood, but the mouth of the upright delivers them. Strangely enough, words have great power for life and death, and even though often said unthinkingly and in haste, are extremely difficult to retract. But by contrast, if the intent is help and deliverance, the words can function in an entirely different manner. Not only that but words provide the traps and snares for the soul of man. An evil man is ensnared by the transgression of his lips, but the righteous escapes from trouble. Often it is the foolish word uttered carelessly that determines an unwise or evil course of action. It may not only damage the spirit but lead into an action or a plan that takes a life. Whoever speaks the truth gives honest evidence, but a false witness utters deceit. Truth spoken satisfies the soul with good! Honest evidence determines the course of life, but the false witness is motivated by deceit, falsehood, and treachery. What can he gain? Who is he protecting? Often it is only himself!

There is one who rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment. Ouch! How often have I spoken sword thrusts not really caring who I hurt, and sometimes even desiring to hurt others with my words? Such an insightful word picture! To make the fruit of my lips satisfying, I would have to desist from sword play! No more! My goal would have to be healing through all of my words. Truth does bring healing because Jesus is the Truth. Once He is the meat of my words, then my words reflect Him. Then His truth permeates what I say and think, and I am satisfied with His good.

Yet a final warning is given in this chapter, Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are His delight. I must say like David, Put a guard over my lips that I might not sin against God.  I must be faithful in my motives, in my actual speaking, and in the purposes of my words. God has given me a renewed mission for my words. They are to bring glory to Him and to be vessels for Him to use. Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad. Am I lifting others up with my words? Am I reducing the anxiety load? Am I making others glad? Not only that but are my word choices satisfying me with good and making me glad?

Father,
Teach me to utter no foolish word but to think of Your good in all that I say. Fill my words with Your power. Satisfy me only with your good and let it flow out of me to others.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment