Friday, February 17, 2012

Therefore...Therefore

Heb. 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of God.

The word 'therefore' takes me back to chapter 11, to all the faithful who have walked before me in the power of God. Because of this powerful faith that was not only theirs but also mine, I am to continue  walking. They are the great cloud of witnesses surrounding me. They are my window into what walking by faith looks like. But in case I still don't understand the author gives some principles for this walk. First I must lay aside every weight (something that makes my journey too heavy-perhaps trying to sneak in some of the world while I am walking with God.), and the sin which clings so closely. Ouch! The weight could be an 'if-y' thing, but the clinging sin is a nasty thing. Regardless of the nature of these things, I must get rid of them. I can not complete the journey hampered by sin or a clouded vision. Secondly, I must run (not walk, crawl, limp,etc. but run) with endurance. This word leads me to think that I should have a degree of vigor, excitement, and of course training. How else could I endure? Thirdly, then I must focus on Jesus who founded (saved) and perfected (sanctified) my faith. He did this not just by proclamation, but by the offering of His own life. He gave us His divine holiness and took my human evilness never once despising the shame, and such sin was the epitome of shame. When He completed it, He was back with His Father awaiting His next journey (calling me to Himself). What an example! As Hebrews says, Therefore He had to be made like His brothers in every respect, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. So what is my response, Let us hold fast the confession of our hope with wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

But how do I keep His example my focus? First I remember what He endured for me on the cross. I remember the gospel! If He, through the person of the Spirit dwells in me, then His same strength is mine! I don't have to fall prey to my humanity, my weaknesses, wearyings, and faintings. I can walk in newness of life. I can ask myself this simple question, Have I resisted to the shedding of blood! (Obviously not, but could I?) Then secondly, ask myself to remember that the Lord disciplines those that He loves, like a good and kind Father. Discipline brings holiness. God is not so concerned with my comfort on this journey but is so concerned with my holiness!! Holiness is needed for the race, for my endurance! Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed. How am I running? Is it with drooping hands and heart, with weak knees buckling at the road blocks, or am I seeking His paths and His healing for what is to come? Am I willingly claiming His promises and uses His strength?

Father,
I ask only for Your grace and strength for such a journey as this. Reveal to me the weights and sins that I might confess and forsake. Unite my heart to Yours so that I live in the power of the cross and Your son. Help me always to remember Jesus and Your sovereign hand in my life.
In His Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment