Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Positive and the Negative

Heb. 10:21-25
...and since we have a great priest over the house of God,  let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,   not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
 
Because Jesus is my high priest, I am unbelievably blessed! I can enter the holy place by His blood in full assurance of faith without ever a doubt as to my acceptability because He has made me acceptable. I am washed in His pure blood, and my evil conscience is cleansed. These are not just new patches put on my old nature, but He has made me over totally new with His life-giving and life-transforming blood. He has done all this, but what do I do? I must hold fast my confession of hope without wavering. I must be faithful as He is faithful. Not only that but I must interact with the body of Christ loving them and encouraging them to good works as I worship together with them and even more so as the day approaches when Jesus makes His return. But what Jesus has done is even more amazing than this! He gives me His grace and strength to hold on, to be faithful, and to minister with other believers. All He wants from me is surrender and dependence.
 
But on the other hand, it is not so glorious! If someone goes on deliberately sinning after having heard the truth, judgment will happen. This judgment will be way worse than anything seen in the Old Testament. How much worse punishment, do you thnk, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which He was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? [Heb. 10:29] What a question! After reading this, fear should grip the human heart! Who would spurn the Son of God who offered HImself in loving sacrifice for the souls of mankind? Who would profane His shed blood with all its life-giving and life-transforming qualities? Who would knowlingly and willingly outrage the Spirit of grace? The answer should be no one who really cares about their eternal destiny, but sadly unregenerate man is often foolish, profane, and outrageous in what they do and think. After reading these vereses, it makes me look carefully at my heart? Have I brought glory to the Son of God and praised Him for His blood with my whole heart? Have I in any way outraged the Spirit of grace? The Lord will judge His people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
 
Father,
My heart is full of thanks for what Jesus has done for me. Teach me to honor and glorify the Son, His blood, and the Spirit of grace. Make this a reality in my life. Reveal to me the evil in my heart. Unite my heart to fear Your name.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment