Wednesday, February 15, 2012

By Faith

Heb. 11:1-19
What is a life of faith?
  • By faith I know that creation came from the Word of God, out of things invisible. Creation resulted in the seen but originated in the unseen.
  • By faith Abel offered an acceptable sacrifice through which he was deemed righteous. Through faith I am covered by the only acceptable sacrifice, Jesus Christ, and through that sacrifice I am made righteous.
  • By faith Enoch was taken up and did not see death. Faith in Jesus gives eternal life whether I have to pass through death here or not, I will live eternally.
  • Without faith, it's impossible to please God! Strong words that would negate human endeavor as a means to please God. I must believe in Him , His existence, and His involvement in my life as the Rewarder of those who do believe.
  • By faith, Noah made the ark which preserved his life but brought condemnation to the world. He obeyed in the face of human fear and was concerned only with fearing God. In faith, I must step out and obey Him in all areas even ones that bring ridicule and fear.
  • By faith Abraham followed God without knowing a destination. He went to a land of promise all the while looking forward to the city of God. His eye was on the prize at the end of the journey not so much on the journey itself. He walked without human maps but used the words of God instead.
  • By faith Sarah received the power to conceive even when she was old in order that the promise might be fulfilled. She considered Him faithful to His word. How difficult was that! He is faithful to all of His words to me as well. I can count on them and Him!
  • All of these people walked in faith without ever seeing the fulfillment of what they waited for.  They knew they were strangers and exiles on this earth not planting their feet firmly in the world's offerings and riches. Their one desire was a better country, one where God could be called their God. I too desire this better country. Like all these people, I must not plant my feet firmly in this world, its culture, its offerings, and its system. I must keep my eyes looking forward to the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
  • By faith Abraham was willing to offer Isaac on the altar. He knew God was able to raise Him from the dead because Isaac was the child of the promise. Unbelievable! How this cuts across the grain of the heart of a parent! Abraham loved God more than his own child. It is only by faith that I can offer to God anything that is precious to me. How much do I believe Him and trust His word? How firmly do I grip my family?
What is this life of faith? These men and women who have gone before have shown me what faith really means. From their lives, I can see the principles that define the faith walk:
  • The Word of God is powerful in creation, salvation, and every realm of my personal life.
  • I must walk without destination...Just following Him step by step in the small details of life and in the overwhelming details.
  • I must stake my life on His Word and His promises. That means I have to know His word and those promises. They must become my life's breath.
  • I must look constantly forward to Heaven, eagerly awaiting the return of Jesus.
  • I must live like a stranger and exile. How hard to not want what the world offers!
  • I must live in the power of the gospel, the only acceptable sacrifice and righteousness.
  • I must know that my righteousness is nothing. Jesus is my righteousness.
  • I must know God personally and believe in what He says. This takes time with Him.
  • I must know what He says in the moment!!!
What great lessons about faith! It takes the gift of faith to have them be a reality in my life.

Father,
Increase my faith. Give me Your strength to put these principles deep within my heart and life. Help me rest in You even when I don't know the outcome.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment