Saturday, February 18, 2012

Final Instructions

Heb. 13

As the author of Hebrews winds down a book filled with Jesus in all His superiority and majesty, he closes with final instructions. What should believers continue to do in light of all the teaching that has gone before?
  • Let brotherly love continue. It is not just beginning, but is an already established way of life that must continue. It is through this love that believers are known and that the gospel message is shared. And above all these, put on love which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
  • Show hospitality to strangers. God's sovereign plan does not just include friends and family. Reach out to others. It could be an angel.
  • Remember those who are in prison and who are mistreated. Think of them as if I were undergoing their trial, definitely not just a passing thought. How would I want to be treated during this time?
  • Keep marriage honorable. Adulterers and sexually immoral will be dealt with by God. Moral purity is a must!
  • Keep free from the love of money. Be content! How hard is this when the world offers so much all around? But the real reason for contentment is because the Lord is with me constantly. I need never fear men, the world, or its system.
  • Remember and imitate my spiritual leaders.  Learn from the body. In order to do that, I must know the body beyond a superficial knowledge. How do I do this? By being involved in the lives and growth of others, by gathering together with the body, and by praying for those in the body.
  • Don't be led astray by false teaching. Stay true to the Word. Saturate myself in it. Let it be my life line to the Father through the teaching of the Spirit.
  • Go outside the camp and bear the reproach. Pick up my cross daily and follow Jesus.  
  • Continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is the fruit of our lips that acknowledge His name. This is my life style. No matter the day or the circumstances, it must be continual praise all to the praise of His name.
  • Do good and share what I have. Be generous and meet the needs of others.
  • Obey and submit to my leaders. They will give account for me and are in God's chain of command.
  • Pray for all. Support all in the most effective way possible--prayer.
Then as the author closes, he offers a powerful benediction. Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus Christ, the great Shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

It is all through Jesus, God's way to man! To Him be the only glory and all the glory!

Father,
Teach me to offer a continual sacrifice of praise to Jesus. When I read a chapter like this, it seems so overwhelming, but I know that through Your Spirit You can guide and lead me into obedience. Equip me with what I need to do Your will and be pleasing in Your sight.
In the name of my Shepherd,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment