Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Righteous Truths

Prov. 11:3
Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death.

In the long run, what counts? When time has ended and death makes it claim, what makes a difference? Certainly not riches, but instead righteousness is the only saving grace. Why? Righteousness is not based on any personal merit, not has man somehow amassed it, but instead it is imputed as a gift from God to those who have Jesus as their personal Savior. In fact, His righteousness is their righteousness given freely from the cross.

The righteousness of the blameless keeps his way straight, but the wicked falls by his own wickedness.(5) True righteousness is a guide, a narrow road that has only one destination. This truth has to do with the source of the righteousness. Because it is not based in self, it won't pander to fleshly desires. Since  it is rooted in a divine directive, it is supernaturally rooted in the heart of man so that I become God's child and He is my God. He gives me a new nature, a new heart that obeys and follows the lead of the His Spirit. It is by His grace and the blood of Jesus that I am blameless and can stay on His straight road. For I am confident of this very thing that He who began a good work in me will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. That is my final and only destination!

The righteousness of the upright delivers them, but the treacherous are taken captive by their lust. (6) Delivery or slavery: those are the two outcomes that are available to me. There is no middle road. It is either delivery through His righteousness or slavery by my own hideous lust. In myself, my situation is bleak and has no hope for anything positive. Why would I chose that road? Why would I listen to my own lust? It does boggle the brain, but sadly, often lust has a persuasive voice!

The righteous is delivered from trouble, and the wicked walks into it instead. (8) Righteousness negates trouble because it is the divine imprint of the heart of God placed in the heart of man. It is when my lust is transformed into His holiness, when my willfulness is transformed into His obedience, and when my foolishness is transformed into His wisdom. However, wickedness is as simple as an easy walk! Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices, and when the wicked perish there are shouts of gladness.(10) Righteousness affects others and brings blessing wherever  it is. Just as Jesus' righteousness brought Him to earth to reconcile man to God so His righteousness in me reaches out to others to reconcile them to God. My mission is His mission! Reaching out from His heart through my heart to the hearts of others!

The wicked earns deceptive wages, but one who sows righteousness gets a sure reward. (18) The fruits of wickedness are gained in deception and reaped in deception. They appear to be one way, but in truth they are sadly lacking. Yet, sowing in righteousness always gives what it promises. Righteousness is Truth. What the word promises will come true!

Whoever is steadfast in righteousness will live, but he who pursues evil will die. (19) Righteousness is life, but evil is death. The outcomes of each are a surety. They can be counted on. What I pursue is what I will gain. If I steadfastly and unwavering pursue a life of righteousness, then life will be my outcome. I will live together with Jesus in heaven praising God for eternity!

The desire of the righteous ends only in good; the expectation of the wicked in wrath.(23) Once the heart is cleansed and made righteous, then it can only end in good. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. His good for me is based in His righteous promise made practical in my heart!

Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, but the righteous will flourish like a green leaf. (28) Prosperity comes not in trusting all my plans and investments. Any Friday has the potential to be a black Friday! But with righteousness comes a true flourishing! His riches are my riches given at the expense of His life on the cross!

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and whoever captures souls is wise. (30) The fruit of this new righteousness within me becomes a tree of life for others. I am sharing this righteousness with them and allowing Him to use me for His purpose of capturing souls. Just as I was captured by the Father, I can be instrumental in capturing others. This is wisdom and blessing!

If the righteous is repaid on earth, how much more the wicked and the sinner! (31) Don't take it lightly. What is promised will come to pass not only for the righteous, but for the wicked and the sinner. God's payment plan may not surface as quickly as people think it should. The wicked sinners may think that they have one over on God, but not so. Rest assured! God's way will not fail!

Father,
Thank You for Your righteousness given to me through Jesus. Teach me to live and pursue righteousness steadfastly and unwaveringly.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment