Sunday, February 26, 2012

His Purposes

Prov. 16:3-4
Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established. The Lord has made everything for its purpose even the wicked for the day of trouble.

If the Lord has made everything for His purposes, and He has, then the advantageous thing to do is to give Him my plans! His plans and purposes are the ones that come to pass, the ones that actually count for eternity! Even though my plan may seem good and wise based on counsel and research, His Spirit weighs the spirit of my plan. Do my plans reflect an eternal focus? Are they concerned with my heart's growth in holiness? Is my heart united to His? No wonder the gift of the Comforter is so vital! As I learn to listen to the indwelling Spirit's voice, I learn to abide, to live only in His power and for His purpose. Perhaps my plans go awry because of my purposes. Am I seeking only earthly success? Am I concerned or even anxious about matters of this life? Or am I seeking sanctification, growth, or the spread of the gospel in all that I do?

 As a sidelight, when my plans please the Lord, or are the same as His, then even my enemies will be peaceful. Could those enemies be the ones I fight within myself? Could those enemies be my old sin nature? I can't kid myself because even though I think that I make plans, He and He alone establishes my steps. It all circles back to His sovereignty and me living practically in light of that fact! If I realize that every single detail of my life, even the seeming mundane or insignificant ones, are made for the Lord's purposes, that totally affects the way that I view them. Sadly, many times I function through these details on auto-pilot gaining nothing from my experiences. But what would happen if I would begin to talk with God constantly in the midst of my dull routines? What would happen if those necessities became the rich soil of growth? God's plans and purposes will be accomplished no matter how I view them, but sadly, I miss out on seeing His hand at work in my life on a minute-minute-basis.

Father,
Open my eyes to see Your purposes in every detail of my life. Unite my heart to fear Your name.
In the name of Jesus,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment