Thursday, August 16, 2012

All from God

Jn. 3:27
John answered, A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven.

John's disciples were noticing that Jesus was baptizing and many were following after him. Concerned for his popularity and his following, they wanted to make him aware of these circumstances. He reply began with a definitive statement: A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven. So very true! John's very mission and purpose were a gift from heaven just as was the appearance of Jesus. How applicable! Nothing in my life, no praise or popularity, no ministry or purpose, no provision or lack of provision can come into my life unless God has ordained it. I can not change or alter what God has ordained. For John, that thought eliminated competition. It should do the same for me. It should change my focus from people pleasing, people praise, and people watching to God pleasing, God praising, and God watching. He should be my only concern. I should not fret about circumstances, my performance, or my position in life. As long as I am focused and praising Him, what else matters?

Then he goes on to remind them that earlier he had said I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before Him. John knew he was the forerunner, the preparer of the way, the friend of the bridegroom. As His friend, he greatly rejoiced at the bridegroom's voice! His joy was complete in Jesus. His mission was fulfilled in Jesus. His final response was He must increase, but I must decrease. What power in those words! For me, it is exactly the same. I must decrease, my wants, desires, feelings, priorities, etc., and He must increase to the point that my life is His, that my time is His, and that my heart is His.

Father,
Teach me the lesson of decreasing and increasing. Grow me in my love for You and for Jesus so that that is all important to me. Thank You for sending all things into my life. Help me to trust You even when the path is hard and I don't understand.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment