Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Water to Wine

Jn. 2:11
This is the first of His signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested His glory. And His disciples believed in Him.


Jesus and His mother were attending a wedding where the wine had run out. What to do? Mary came to Jesus and told Him of their problem. Even though Jesus said it wasn't His issue, and His time had not yet come, Mary believed He could alleviate the problem. She simply said, Do whatever He tells you. What faith in that simple statement! How peaceful my life would be if my faith was so rooted in obedience to His words, if I quit trying to make my own plan and solution, and if I immediately went to His word in the face of any circumstance.

Jesus told the servants to fill 6 stone jars (each with a capacity of 20-30 gallons) with water. Then He told them to draw some out and take it to the master of the feast. They obeyed. Unaware of what had transpired, the master tasted the wine and said, Everyone serves the good wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then the poor wine. But you have kept the good wine until now. What Jesus had done, was the best! He is the creator of the best whether it solves a problem, a deficiency, a need, or enriches a life. Likewise, Jesus saves the best for last, my home in heaven and my time with Him will  truly be the best of all.  

This, the first of His signs...manifested His glory. And His disciples believed in Him. What Jesus did at the wedding was far more than just solving a problem or saving face. It was a miracle that revealed the glory and power of Jesus. Perhaps those attending the wedding never once thought about the quality of the wine, but His disciples had their faith and belief bolstered. Their spiritual awareness grew and their relationship with Jesus deepened. When I see answered prayer or His hand working miraculously in a situation, I need to look beyond the mere resolution of my problem and see the glory of my Savior. I need to focus on my relationship with Him not just on my own needs being met. I need to learn to see His glory every day and allow His glory to take root in my heart and grow my faith.

Father,
Thank You for the miracle of salvation in my life and for showing me the power and glory of Your Son. Deepen my relationship with Him and increase my faith. Help me to go immediately to Your words and seek You in all my problems no matter how small or large.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment